Candlelight Tours - 2019
November 16, 2019 @ 6:30PM — 8:00PM Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Gossip, tall tales, and intrigue! What will you find by the light of candlelight?
Once a year, the popular Sutter's Fort Candlelight Tours offer a unique experience for visitors to "eavesdrop" on inhabitants of Fort rooms as they gossip about their neighbors and comment on the current events of 1846.
This unique experience provides a behind-the-scenes look at some of the faces of those who saw possible opportunity or devastation in their new homes and a chance to listen in as people discuss uncertain times and tremendous change - war, the Bear Flag revolt, travelers lost in the snow - all while surrounded by the dark of night.
Each enchanting tour ends with a special souvenir, hot beverages, and a sweet treat.
Candlelight Tours is on Saturday evening, November 16, 2019. Tours depart every 10 minutes between 6:30 pm and 8:00 pm and cost $20 per person. The recommended age is 9 and above.
Due to the popularity of the Candlelight Tours, advance reservations are highly recommended since tickets are guaranteed to sell out quick.
For more information about this special evening event or Sutter's Fort State Historic Park in general, please call Sutter's Fort directly at 916-445-8115.
MORE ABOUT THIS TOUR:
- The program consists of a series of scenarios in the rooms of the Fort. You will be present as a ghost from the future. The program’s participants cannot see or hear you. Essentially, you will be eavesdropping on an evening's conversations and activities from the 1840s. Please note that language on this program is rated PG-13 and may be a bit spicy for young ears.
- The event will take place regardless of weather. Please come prepared if there is rain. Also, there is no heating in the historic rooms.
- Bottled water. hand-crafted candles, and souvenir lanterns available for sale at check-in (cash only).
- Each tour lasts approximately 1 hour and includes a significant amount of walking and standing. The Fort grounds are very dark and for your safety it is important that groups stay together. Fort footing is uneven in places. Your guide will be carrying a lantern and will point out known hazards. Restrooms are available before or after your tour as there are no stops during the program.
- Tickets are non-refundable or transferable. Please check-in at the South Gate of Sutter's Fort (located on L Street across from Pioneer Congregational Church) at least 10 minutes before your scheduled tour time. Your spot may be given to waitlisted guests if you are not present when your scheduled tour time begins. Please be on time as each tour is limited in size and cannot accommodate additional guests.